After making some lovely new friends on a recent course I offered to take one of their knives home to repair as one of the scales had fallen off. I scrounged a bit of American Walnut and a bit of fiddling in the shed resulted in this finished beauty. (Araldite and tiny bolts will hopefully prevent any recurrence...)
Two of my knives, the top one is a Julius Petersson (I know, I fell straight into that Ray Mears pit-fall) with antler, leather and apple-wood sections, the rat-tail tang is riveted over a small brass washer. The bottom one is completly homemade and was a bit of a marathon to complete ~3 years of action and hiding in a draw. After softening an old file with help from a farrier I removed the teeth and profiled a Ray Mears-esque (again) profile and 4mm thickness. Holes were drilled to take brass rod and tube then with the help of a blacksmith uncle I hardened and tempered the blade. A combination of Araldite glue, black fibre-liner and beech wood scales was finished with brass and plenty of sanding and shaping.
Another old file was upcycled (just learnt that word) into this great new tool for splitting spoon blanks and chair components. I ground it to shape and welded it to a section of old water pipe. the handle is a piece of ash off the log pile that I turned on a power lathe and is about 11" long, the blade is 5.5" long and 5mm thick. I ground a fairly blunt angle onto the lowest edge and away I went. I ummed-and-arred over tempering but general consensus and experience so far suggests its not necessary.
This is my new shave horse - Bullseye - he is collapsible and amazing, a fair bit cheaper than other horses I know of too... I managed to pilfer all of the components from the shed and put him together in an afternoon... Its only a matter of time before my spooney/chairy empire takes flight...